Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Everything's better with a background!

Welcome to my blog!

Just for some background info, I am a diorama/doll repaint/reroot/miniature artist.
Phew...that's a long title.
I grew up playing with the dreaded and sometimes disliked G.I. Joe dolls. Yes, they are dolls no matter how you look at it. They were made and titled as such for boys back in the late 50's early 60's.
I had always wanted to mess with a girl doll as a kid, but of course having the one parent figure who felt dolls were for girls and ACTION FIGURES were for boys.
His feeling on the matter ended poorly as you see.

Growing up I was always pretty artistic. My Mom was a wonderful hairdresser, my Great Grandmother sewed often (though I could never grasp it) and instead of going to baseball practice, I opted for ceramics.
I learned quite a bit there and had a nice "quiet" time if you have ever taken a ceramics class, you get my drift.
I still have some of the pieces I made as a kid and enjoy their simpleness.

Much later in life (after college(s) ) and finding myself, I bought a house for me and my Red Doberman "Isis".
All was well until she became ill and couldn't walk anymore. It crushed me.
I had to do the right thing, and it left a huge empty hole in my spirit and life.

I reverted back to my childhood after that incident to try to maybe find some comfort and I found it in action figures. The market had changed drastically since I was a kid and the newer action figures were amazingly detailed.
I bought a Jason Vorhees figure. Of course he was creepy, but to even it out I also found a Ken doll on Ebay. Had to have a camp counselor, right?
That was the beginning of the end!

Then I found a Ru Paul doll and her face sculpture was so realistic but I just didn't like her lipstick.
That led to repainting.
Then she had no food. The only food I could find on Ebay was either too small ( 1/12th scale) or Re-ment which was OK, but not too realistic.
That led to clay miniatures.
After Ru's makeover and food, she needed tables and of course a background.
That led to dioramas.

So you see, as always, one thing leads to another as The Fixx sang.

Today I still dabble in dioramas. I have won several competitions and also won first place in a doll food competition as seen below;

This year I will enter some of my repaints/re-roots that I have done and see where that takes me.
I have yet to sell anything, it seems I am in the "hoarder" phase of dolls.

Here is one of my favorites, Storm from X-Men but the dark 1980's version in the X-Men comics;


Next blog I will discuss the doll world as a whole, shopping on Ebay and a few other tidbits.




No comments:

Post a Comment